Commercial Underwriter III (Salt Lake or Ogden)
Company: America First Credit Union
Posted on: June 24, 2022
Schedule: Mon - Fri Flex Overview:Under the direction of the
manager this position is responsible for underwriting, reviewing,
analyzing, and understanding business financial performance as part
of the commercial loan origination and underwriting process. It
spreads, assembles, and accurately analyzes borrower financials. It
generates analysis summaries that can be applied to loan
underwriting. Effectively communicates findings to relevant
Provides in-depth analysis and underwriting of business, commercial
and industrial loan applications. Provides in-depth analysis and
review of existing commercial loans. Identifies needs of existing
business membership and communicates future opportunities. Provides
high quality and professional service to business members. Supports
credit union departments and branches. Works with staff to improve
operations. Ensures the accuracy of commercial loan applications
submitted for committee approval.Responsibilities:1. Maintaining
the underwriting, analysis and evaluation of commercial loan
applications per credit union policy, procedure, and industry
a. Spreads financial information of new loan applications to
provide sufficient understanding of the borrower's financial
position, managerial strategy, and expected financial
b. Analyzes financial statements and formulates questions about
borrowers and guarantors to understand borrowing position and
c. Tests presumed collateral value and performance utilizing the
income capitalization and other relevant methods.
d. Provides brief written analysis for the preflight screening of
all new loan originations. This includes but is not limited to the
analysis of: management, financial statements, and collateral.
Identifies key risk to repayment sources and provides
e. Provides written analysis for the credit presentation to senior
management, ALM, and those with credit approval authority.
f. Assists with opening new business accounts for new loans.
2. Supporting the management and monitoring of the commercial loan
a. Works with team to collect required financial reporting from
b. Regularly reviews loan portfolio for potential delinquencies and
upcoming maturing loans and works with commercial loan officer to
resolve these in a timely manner.
c. Analyzes financial statements of existing borrowers to provide
sufficient understanding of the borrower's current financial
position, current financial performance, and strategic
d. Measures borrower compliance with loan contract covenants.
e. Updates loan risk grades using the commercial loan grading risk
f. Compiles all the above information in a summary annual review of
the findings, which is reported to management on an annual or
3. Establishing and maintaining effective coordination and
communication with credit union personnel and with management.
a. Assists all other employees in operational duties as needed.
Informs departments and branches as needed.
b. Completes required reports, records and other documentation.
c. Attends and participates in meetings and trainings as
d. Keeps management informed of area activities. Immediately
reports any significant problems or concerns.
4. Other related duties as required or assigned.
a. Stays informed regarding local and national economic conditions.
Monitors legal and regulatory changes.
b. Ensures proper maintenance, cleanliness, and security of work
area. Ensures member confidentiality.
c. Accountable to review and respond to policy violations and
document rejects in a timely manner.
d. Completes special projects and other duties as assigned
Bachelor's Degree in Business or related field or equivalent
combination of formal training and experiencePreferred
- Master's degree in business preferred
- Current Certified Lending Authority
- Business Lending Certified Authority
- Professional business lending training, which could include but
not limited to:o CUES Business Lending 1, 2, 3
o Pacific Coast Banking School
Thorough knowledge of Credit Union products, services, policies,
and procedures including but not limited to: consumer and
residential lending practices.
- Understanding of accounting functions, financial statements,
and GAAP requirements
- Understanding of business lending functions
- Understanding of credit worthiness
- Understanding of training and development processes
- Understanding of MS Office software applications.
Minimum of 10+ years of progressive credit union experience,
preferably in areas where accounting, underwriting, and financial
analysis skills were demonstrated.
- Minimum of 5+ years of directly related commercial and business
- Experience reading, dissecting, and interpreting financial
- Experience underwriting credit, identifying credit risk, and
mitigating credit risk including extensive experience with business
Minimum of 10+ years of progressive business or commercial lending
- Experience underwriting complex deal structures with multiple
entities, guarantors, and sources of cash flow.
Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Excellent phone skills and professional phone etiquette.
- Excellent problem-solving, analysis, and financial skills.
- Strong ability to prioritize tasks and assignments. Highly
organized and attentive to detail.
- Highly motivated and able to motivate others.
- Willing to cooperate with and assist others.
- Able to use PC, printer, phones, fax, and business
- Able to operate required computer applications and
- Able to analyze loan documents, financial statements, and other
- Able to achieve goals.
Keywords: America First Credit Union, Ogden , Commercial Underwriter III (Salt Lake or Ogden), Other , Ogden, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!