Principle Scientist, Minerals & Nutrients
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Text to Apply!Text JOIN2743 to 845-400-TEAM (8326)
Balchem Corporation develops, manufactures and markets specialty
ingredients that improve and enhance the health and well-being of
life on the planet, providing state-of-the-art solutions and the
finest quality products for a range of industries worldwide. Our
corporate headquarters is located in New Hampton, New York, (Hudson
Valley area) and we have a broad network of sales offices,
manufacturing sites, and R&D centers, primarily located in the
US and Europe. Founded in 1967, Balchem is a publicly traded
company (NASDAQ - BCPC) with annual revenues over $700 million and
a market cap exceeding $4.0 billion. The company consists of three
business segments: Human Nutrition & Health; Animal Nutrition &
Health; and Specialty Products. Balchem employs over 1,400 people
worldwide who are engaged in diverse activities, committed to
developing the company into global market leadership positions. To
learn more about our dynamic, stable and growing company, visit
The Research Scientist / Principal Scientist - Minerals and
Nutrients will leverage their scientific training and experience to
develop new products and support existing products, primarily for
Balchem's Minerals and Nutrients business. The Principal Scientist
will be expected to take on challenging technical problems and be
able to lead research efforts that reduce concepts into
next-generation and breakthrough new products. Additionally, the
individual will become the internal technical expert on choline and
will be a leader for R&D projects in support of this critical
material in Balchem's portfolio.
- Safety: Champion safety in all activities, including design and
execution of lab and pilot work. Ensure that lab work is conducted
in a safe manner via hazard reviews, SOP's, appropriate
- Manage a complex portfolio of projects:
- Be the Technical Project Leader (PM) and/or lead scientist on
new product develop projects (AIM projects) focused on choline,
minerals, or other nutrients. These projects will involve
significant technical complexity and may require the management of
cross-functional teams and/or external resources.
- Be a Project Leader or Team Member for projects in support of
Balchem's Minerals and Nutrients product line.
- Become an internal expert on choline chemistry and material
science. Such projects may include manufacturing process
optimization, studying choline degradation pathways, making choline
salts easier to process in our customer's plants.
- Potentially mentor technicians and/or junior scientists, ensure
they work safely, and effectively meet project objectives.
- Interface with technical experts across Balchem's organization
to promote the application knowledge of choline and ensure
coordination between R&D and the business units.
- Ensure the laboratory facilities are adequately designed to
execute projects in the portfolio, recommend new equipment as
needed to advance projects, maintain existing equipment.
- Operate at the interface of functional disciplines, coordinate
the activities of specialists to design work programs, participate
in their execution to provide support to all variety of technical
projects. Travel to the Balchem plants, develop close relationships
with key Operations personnel, as required.
- Scan the patent literature and alert the organization to
technology developments involving choline an other nutrients
outside of Balchem.
- Meet with customers and represent Balchem's technology, as
- Be an external face for Balchem in the technical community;
publish articles, file patents, and make presentations at industry
- Prepare and deliver project presentations and reports to
Balchem's Operating Committee, Chief Technology Officer, and other
- MS degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering with 10+ years
of professional industrial experience or a Ph.D. degree in
Chemistry or Chemical Engineering with 5+ years of industrial
experience. Job title will depend on experience.
- Experience with small molecule synthesis is required.
- Preferred industrial experience in the fine chemical, API, or
- Proven technical expert with chemistry bench skills, research
experience, and proven track record of successful project execution
and patent filing.
- Ability to lead large, complex, multifunctional projects. Track
record of on time delivery of multiple initiatives on one or more
- Excellent understanding of safe laboratory practices,
demonstrated history of safety leadership.
- Proven ability to communicate project progress both in written
and oral form. Comfort around high-level management in oral project
- Proven track record of ideation: can develop ideas that help
advance the organization's ability to generate value for our
- Knowledge/experience in formulating oral solid dose forms and
the associated material process steps (direct compression, roller
compaction, wet and dry granulation, etc.).
- Experience in related characterization techniques.
- Expertise in the reactions involving gasses and the processes
used to safely handle such reactions.
- Proven track record of scale up in an industrial
- Proven ability to generate ideas for new product and improved
Balchem is committed to a workplace culture that values and
promotes diversity, inclusion, equal employment opportunities, and
a work environment free of harassment and
Keywords: balchem, Ogden , Principle Scientist, Minerals & Nutrients, Other , Ogden, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!